Monday, September 14, 2009

To Cook or Not to Cook....

Since graduating I feel that I have started to turn over "new leafs" here and there. I am a notoriously picky eater and am seriously lacking skills in the kitchen. I have started to do things like scramble eggs (i love bagel and egg sandwiches) and prepare take-n-bake pizza for the BF. I know it is not much, but slow and steady wins the race. As much as I am lacking in the kitchen arena I love looking at kitchen equipment, appliances, and magazines that showcase beautiful kitchens. I honestly have no clue what some of the accessories/tools are used for but I defiantly hope to have drawers filled with them at some point. I want to learn what to do with those tools, and I want to be able to bring "Morgan's" signature dishes to family functions and friend's events.


I just moved into my first real apartment after college and when moving all of my stuff several people asked where the rest of my kitchen things were. My response, "I don't cook, why would I need all that stuff." I have several cook books and I have pages marked in all of them but I always seem to get nervous (Im slightly nervous about everything-no really I am) when thinking about trying to cook. I know that is borderline dramatic but it is the truth. The women in my family are all great cooks and for the most part so are the men but I think that somewhere in the gene pool I, MKH was skipped.

So basically, I know that I love dishes, kitchen utensils, and all things cooking and kitchen related except for the part that deals with the actual food preparation. I am a work in progress and I know that Paula Dean didn't start out fantastic, I am sure she burnt eggs and forgot about the bagel in the toaster (because I did last week, and Im still trying to get the crusty egg off of my spatula). Like I said earlier, I am a work in progress. Slowly but surely I will learn to cook, but until then I am still living the college student's dream of cereal, chips and salsa, and the occasional pizza.

Until I learn to cook, I try to make my kitchen feel not so empty by filling it with fun and adorable knick-knacks Here are a few of my favorite kitchen things. They are just too cute.

The Geography Collection of State Dish Towels

The Geography Collection of State Frosted Glasses (set of 4)


A great serving piece for informal events and even better for chips and salsa, and its UK Blue...


Mackenzie Childs- I love love love the black and white checked pattern, great for everyday.


Hope everyone had a great start to the week.
Love, The Challenged Cook (for now)

0 comments: